Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Stupid Grad School

I've been meaning to post for awhile. Like, months. But stupid school and work and life keep getting in the way. When I started Seoul Cliche it was a means to an end: communicating with my family and friends and telling the stories of my little Korean adventures. What I didn't expect was that blogging would be a great outlet for me. I have a tendency to let a lot of crap rattle around in my head and putting it on paper (read: the Internet) was a great release and allowed me to clear my head.

I haven't posted in months because, well, I've got too much rattling around in my brain to come up with a cohesive thought. Right now I'm in week five of Business Law and Business Statistics, both topics that are turning my brain into mush. Law has turned out to be a bit more interesting than expected, but statistics has got me swimming. I like the idea of statistics, and of how they are gathered. I like analyzing the results and I like drawing conclusions. But getting there? That's dang near impossible. It's like reading Greek. Actually, it is reading Greek, as most of the formulas are written in Greek. For example, this:
is the formula for the mean of a sample. Really, all it says is that the mean (μ) is the sum of results divided by the number of results. It's an average. Why the hell can't they just say that??? Why do I need a Sigma and a Mu and a bunch of other meaningless characters to determine an average?

Anyway, that is where my brain is at. Other than that, things are going pretty well. I've got some fun projects at work - I'm overseeing the rebuild of our website and the remodeling of our demo room, helping with the planning and marketing of a technology summit, doing some graphic design and learning a lot more about copiers than I ever wanted to know. I managed to waddle to the finish line at the Shamrock Run, made my first attempt at snowboarding, paid off the trip to China (departing 6 weeks from today!) and am working on my sideline business with X.

Rob's been helping me with the yard and we've made some really good progress, I'll add some photos on the ol' Facebook. We've got a long way to go still, especially considering we both have geriatric backs. Hopefully in the next month or so we'll be ready for BBQ season. Yippee!!

No comments: